Launch of ‘Public Mental Health: Evidence, practice and commissioning’ report
Date published: 2019-05-15T00:00:00
A new report by Dr Jonathan Campion, Director of Public Mental Health (PMH) at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM), summarising the latest evidence around public mental health has been published. Please click here to access the full report.
Despite the existence of cost-effective public mental health interventions, only a minority of those with mental disorder in England receive any treatment, far fewer receive interventions to prevent associated impacts and even fewer receive intervention to prevent mental disorder or promote mental well-being.
The report, endorsed by Health Education England, summarises the latest evidence for the:
- Impact of mental disorder responsible – accounting for at least a quarter of UK disease burden
- Impact of mental wellbeing
- Risk factors for mental disorder and protective factors for mental wellbeing
- Groups at higher risk of mental disorder and poor mental wellbeing
- Effective interventions to treat mental disorder, prevent associated impacts, prevent mental disorder from arising and promote mental wellbeing
- Economic savings of different public mental health interventions